The Islington New Market

Islington New Market 1849 ILN

This short-lived cattle and livestock market was developed by a Mr Perkins in the 1830s, on land between the Lower Road (now Essex Road) and Southgate Road on the eastern … Read more

‘Beating the Bounds’

Islington boundary marker

The annual act of ‘Beating the Bounds’ of the parish was extremely important before maps were commonplace. Local officials and interested parties would walk the parish boundary, often on Ascension … Read more